Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Art of Milkshakes

I've only just this summer learned about the greatness of milkshakes. I don't know why it took 24 years, but I was never interested in milkshakes growing up.


On a whim earlier this summer, I tried the "cookie dough" milkshake from a little diner down my block, and it was the most amazing thing ever. They literally blended housemade chocolate chip cookies into the milkshake for a rush of creamy cookie and ice cream heaven, with little chunks of soggy cookie at the bottom.

I'm a bit too lazy to make my own cookies just to put in a milkshake, so I started blending strawberry milkshakes at home instead. It's the perfect summer treat and I justify it as helping me with my fruit and calcium intake ;-)


Get together a couple scoops of vanila ice cream, a few spoonfuls of milk, a few spoonfuls of chocolate chips (optional), and about six strawberries (frozen or fresh). Give it a whirl in the blender or food processor and then sit back, sip, and cool off...


Warning: may cause milk mustaches or other happy funniness

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I could have a milkshake (or a malt) every single day. This summer I'm trying a modified version (1 scoop whey protein powder, 3/4 cup vanilla lowfat yogurt, 1 banana + ice in the blender). It isn't exactly a milkshake, but it tastes close enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I've never had a malted milkshake before...they are a mystery to me. The line between milkshake and smoothie is a fine one. I used to have smoothies every day like you describe, then i got out of the habit - but i should get some yogurt so i can get back into it since it's healthier than a milkshake every day ;-) peach and yogurt smoothies are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hell yeah! That looks and sounds delicious.

    Milkshakes freaked me out for years (Too Much Dairy) but now I'm coming round!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay peonies, i love it when you make an appearance. i've always been lucky enough to not be bothered by dairy!

    ReplyDelete