Thursday, September 24, 2009

My First Etsy Purchases

I've been an occasional browser of etsy and I see lots of pretty things on there, but I am what you might call an anti-shopaholic, so it requires a lot of deliberating and motivation for me to take the plunge and buy something. Which is why I'd never bought anything from etsy before until now - because I finally had the perfect reason.


After my friend Elaine's wedding, I really wanted to give her something handcrafted for her home, something made with love that would last a long time and be an heirloom in the making. She requested a wooden fruit bowl, considering her "current lack of fruit display options" so I scoured etsy for something just right and finally decided on this bowl, turned from reclaimed Georgia wood and finished with natural tung oil by MyTurningShop.


I wanted to give her a little something else too, and when I spotted this adorable lovebirdie vase, I knew I had to get it, since Elaine's invitations featured birds. The redhotpottery shop has some really awesome ceramics for sale, including heart-shaped ramekins, so check it out!

12 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous bowl! The perfect entry point into the shopping goodness of Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the vase...and I peeked at her store and blog -- I'm smitten with all the beautiful details...the little flowers and birds... just beautiful. Thanks for the introduction!
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the vase. A single flower by the bedside maybe. Just adorable. I need to shop from Etsy way more often than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the vase and the bowl. What great choices. And I agree with you on Etsy, so much nice stuff it almost overwhelms me. I haven't been on there much since the wedding though, maybe I should go back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful purchases! so fun :) I also LOVE the vase and the rocks are AWESOME. I have a funny feeling though that like your boyfriend, the men I know would also quietly switch it up for ice cubes...
    they like to pretend to be tough... but ya know lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely bowl and vase. And those whisky stones? Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on your first etsy experience! i too, am an anti-shopaholic, so i don't buy things on there often, but i probably buy more on there than i do from any other "store", and i never have buyers remorse! isn't it funny how much easier it is to buy things for other people though? the last three things i bought on etsy were our wedding rings, a print for my sister, and some jewelry supplies so that i can make necklaces for my bridesmaids! i LOVE that vase though.... i might have to buy something from red hot pottery for my soon-to-be-husband :)
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great finds...i actually bought that same vase for a friend...your blog is wonderful! will be back for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have that vase in turquoise. I have been meaning to blog it but haven't got round to it yet. I think she is my favourite ceramicist on Etsy. I want everything from that shop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy to say my friend loved her gifts. and redhotpottery...glad you all like her work so much!

    Turtlebird - how great to "meet" another antishopaholic...we are rare! i love that you're making your bridesmaids necklaces...such a sweet gift.

    Stylestance and BonBon Oiseau - thanks for coming by! i <3 new readers

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been eyeing that vase for a while. It's so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to get Nick some of those whiskey stones for Christmas. Best idea ever.

    ReplyDelete