Thursday, October 8, 2009

To Do: Fall


Inspired by Sara's list of 30 quintessential fall activities over at Pink of Perfection, I thought it might help me organize the plans and ideas swirling around my head if I made my own lists of fall activities: things I hope to accomplish; food I'd like to put away for the winter or make while it's in season; and things I'd like to to remember to do to enjoy the season while it lasts. As you can see, I was also inspired by Rachel's post on Heart of Light this week advocating for relishing the moments in each season. I hope to make To Do Lists a common feature here as I continually struggle to keep afloat with all there is to do, feel, experience, and achieve in life.

Can you think of anything I might be missing? What's on your fall to-do list?

To Do
* bring the hardy plants inside
* make my Halloween costume ended up opting out of Halloween
* knit a scarf started a scarf
* fall cleaning and reorganizing
* put the air conditioner in storage
* buy new stockings and boots (old ones don't fit well)
* mend sweaters
* Thanksgiving menu planning - no thanksgiving to plan yet again :-(

To Make in the Kitchen
* hang herbs to dry
* buy the last of the berries on sale at the farmers market to freeze - guess I missed this already
* turn the basil plant into pesto - already used up all the basil
* applesauce
* apple pie
* granola
* fresh baked bread
* roast sugar pumpkins into puree for baking
* chocolate chip pumpkin muffins made chocolate chip pumpkin blondies, but i wasn't happy with them
* carrot cake
* crockpot chili
* butternut squash ravioli with sage and butter sauce
* squash and bean casserole

To Enjoy
* chai tea
* cider donuts
* pumpkin carving - guess I'm not doing this one this year
* apple picking
* mulled cider
* hard cider
* red wine instead of white
* wearing fuzzy socks
* taking hot showers
* hiking in the turning leaves
* crisp bike rides
* summery produce while it lasts think tomatoes, zucchini, corn...this year I refuse to start cooking with squash until the summer's bounty disappears

12 comments:

  1. No fall/autumn list for me - I'm counting the days until Summer is here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elise is lucky. I still haven't washed and put up my swimsuits. And I need to dry clean (at home) my sweaters. I also have a leather jacket that I really want to have dyed. Crockpot chili happens quite often in my house through fall and winter. Mmmm. Love it. I still owe you an apple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great list. I need to get down to business and make my own. Wearing fuzzy socks and drinking hot cider is probably my most important fall activity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is a great list. If you have any good halloween costume ideas I'd love to hear from you :) I have no idea what to go for. Good luck in getting through all of this and looking forward to hearing how it all goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading your lists! Totally inspires me to make my own. I think I missed out on the berries too, and I'm bummed about it. Do you make your own granola? That's something I've never done and definitely want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had that brown butter and sage sauce on my to-do list all winter - I was planning to make butternut squash gnocchi but never got around to it. Can't wait to see your recipe though - maybe it will inspire me to take action!

    I did enjoy your squash and bean casserole though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started drinking red wine September 1st on the dot! But I'm always in a hurry to imbibe, I guess.

    Do you pickle/can? I bought a whole case of canning jars last weekend, but haven't started yet. Eep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. where did you go apple picking? my fiance and I want to go this weekend but we can't find a place we can get to w/o a car. shoot me an email??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wearing layers of cozy clothes and taking walks around the neighborhood enjoying the crip fall air.... I'd love to have a working fireplace or woodburning stove to make a roaring fire - maybe I'll have to bring baked goodies for someone who does...

    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the info! We'll do some research today and I'll let you know what we chose!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elise - lucky you to have summer on its way!

    Miz November - good reminder, i should add that i need to dry clean my fall/winter work slacks, as well as a coat i want to sell.

    Marie - most years I have no idea what to be for halloween and come up with something dumb in the nick of time...ie cookie monster, mouse, this year i'm going to be a superheroine from a movie. but fifties housewife has also seemed like an easy good idea.

    Rachel - nice, i'm wearing fuzzy socks as I type this.

    jen - yes every now and then I make my own granola. It's pretty easy and cheaper than buying it. i realized I've never posted about granola here before, so I'll have to put up my recipe method!

    meag - do you remember RA's squash ravioli w/ butter and sage? that's what i'm inspired by. the squash and bean casserole is such a vegetarian hit. in fact someone made a variation on it for me last weekend.

    JC - I have made pickles, but just "refrigerator" pickles. I've never tried proper canning because I'm scared. Good luck and let me know how yours turns out.

    vintage simple - oh a fireplace sounds lovely...good idea to bribe a friend with one into having you over. friends with fireplaces are hard to come by in my city.

    ReplyDelete