Friday, November 13, 2009

Last Weekend Pt 2: Mac and Cheese-Off

On Sunday, my sister invited me over for a "Mac and Cheese-Off." For this event, there were only four of us to eat the three dishes of mac and cheese that we had prepared. Needless to say, there were leftovers.

The winner: my broccoli cheddar mac and cheese. You gotta get your veggies where you can... (recipe below)


The runners-up: Lisa's mac and cheese with chevre, butternut squash, and caramelized onions; John's mac and cheese with crushed walnuts, gorgonzola, and Swiss MSG sauce (don't ask cuz no I didn't understand what it was either)


Afterward we walked off the cheese with a sunset stroll through Riverside Park.



Broccoli Cheddar Mac 'n Cheese
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups milk
salt
pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 small or 1 large head of broccoli
1/2 lb curly pasta
3/4 lb cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375.
Grease a casserole dish with butter.
Bring large pot of salted water to boil.
Separate broccoli stems from florets. Dice stems and then dice florets, keeping them separate.
Grate cheese.
Heat butter in saucepan until melted. Slowly whisk in flour, then milk, then spices. Let simmer until milk mixture is hot. Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup grated cheese, creating a melted cheese sauce.
Once water is boiling, add the pasta and broccoli stems. Bring to a boil again and cook ten minutes or so until pasta and stems are both al dente. Then strain thoroughly in a colander.
Combine pasta, stems, florets, and cheese sauce in casserole dish and top with remaining 1/4 cup grated cheese.
Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes until edges are golden brown.
Makes 4-6 servings.

9 comments:

  1. Two notes, winner:

    1. I used a Pecorino / Romano blend, not Grosszola.

    2. In case someone asks, www dot importfood dot com/sama6701.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm. I could totally go for some brocolli mac right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made your broccoli mac and cheese last night, and DK was very, very, very pleased. I used cheddar that had been aged or washed or something with Irish whiskey... pretty divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John - thanks for the info, sorry i got it wrong

    JC - oooh i'm so happy it worked out for you! i get nervous posting recipes because i'm always tweaking things as i go and trying to remember afterward what exactly i did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! That recipe looks great. I'll try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Julia,

    Thanks for stoppin by... glad I found your site now. I love the interesting twist on comfort food... fun! And yes, my NY blurb was my eternal optimism coming thru (and only weeklong presence there)... I left you a note back :)

    Have a good day... xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah...that sounds amazing. I'm trying to stay away from bovine dairy at the moment...I wonder if it would work at all with Manchego or soft goat cheese? MMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Owl Barn - thanks for checking out my recipe

    Kate - eternal optimism sounds like a good thing to have!

    rebekka - i'm not sure if you could make a cheese sauce in the same way with soft goat cheese, but i think you definitely could with any hard goat or sheeps milk cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh good lord. A mac and cheese off! My idea of heaven for sure.

    ReplyDelete