Friday, February 19, 2010

A Salty and Sweet Treat






So sometimes in February you need a walk, but sometimes you also need cookies. Ever since Jamie at A Desert Fete made these babies I was hankering for some chocolate chip cookies myself, but more than just that...with the salty protein of peanut butter. I like my cookies with lots of nutty crunch, so I used crunchy peanut butter and added chopped peanuts, but to each her own. Inspired by Heather at 101 Cookbooks, I also replaced half the sugar with maple syrup.

In keeping with the spirit of balance between comforting indulgence and exercise necessary this time of year, I employed the glorious freezer trick: only baked off a few and stored the rest as a log of dough wrapped in a plastic bag in the freezer, ready to be sliced and baked next time I'm craving a salty and sweet treat.

Note: When I have baked these directly after mixing the batter, I have noticed them puffing up. However, I usually refrigerate or freeze them first and achieve perfectly flat cookies. Simply Recipes does advise chilling peanut butter cookie dough in the refrigerator for at least three hours to eliminate spreading or puffing. Chilling the dough also makes it easier to handle.

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 egg
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped peanuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar, beat in peanut butter, then syrup, then egg. Dump flour, baking soda, powder, chips, and nuts, and stir until combined. If time allows, chill in the refrigerator for three hours. Then, drop teaspoon sized balls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Alternately, form into logs after chilling and freeze for 30 minutes or up to a few months to slice and bake as desired. Bake for approximately 10 - 15 minutes. Makes about 30-40 cookies depending on the size.

13 comments:

  1. mostly, i just need cookies. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I definitely have to try these, being a peanut fan too (peanutbutter on a spoon straight out the jar is not an uncommon snack for me...)

    I never think to freeze cookie dough - that is such a good idea; I always end up with so many of whatever I've baked that I eat 4 a day until they're used up and then feel completely sick of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's funny, I was so ready to make peanut butter chocolate chip cookies this weekend! I didn't do it because I was thinking maybe I don't need to add the cookies to my winter belly. but the recipe is still hanging over my kitchen counter. I like the idea of freezing a roll. I'll definitely try that. and I think a peanut butter cookie is more authentic with the fork tine marks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm.... i made brownies last night. i'm gonna end up a fatty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm.. why is it that rubbish weather = cookie cravings... mixed chocolate orange have been my latest tipple.. but ummm I do love a peanut cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salty/sweet cookies??? My FAVORITE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I might make these today. You had me at salty AND sweet! hahaha. have a good Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound like the perfect treat for a cold day (or any day for that matter!). Thanks for sharing the recipe here, dear.

    xoox,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm obsessed with peanut butter. i'm so making these next week. i need to get my cookie fill before spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, I have been CRAVING peanut butter chocolate chip cookies!! I'm going to make them tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it must be something about emerging from hibernation that makes us crave sweet + salty. bookmarking this recipe and making these asap, after i get a gallon of whole milk for dipping. i did a post a while ago about chocolate chip cookies with sea salt and MAN are they good, but with peanut butter added? HEAVEN.

    and ps- thanks for the all the MUCH-appreciated, encouraging, sweetest of notes these past few weeks- i've been such a blog slacker and am finally catching up on reading now that i'm done painting. thanks for being such a sweetheart!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. The freezing the dough is a great idea I can't believe I have never done that. My 2yr old son and I are baking these now and they smell yummy!!

    ReplyDelete