Monday, May 10, 2010

Garden Update: Adding Color

Phase two of the container garden was adding some flowers for color. I picked zinnias and marigolds for their brightness. They like full sun, so we'll see if the yard gets enough rays to keep them alive.




And impatiens, which like shade and did well here last summer.



Also, bee balm! It's a favorite from the wildflower gardens of my childhood, so when I saw this plant at the farmers market I had to get it. It won't bloom till July or August, but it's a beauty and bees love them. With bees still on the decline, it helps to grow native flowers and herbs, including lavender and bee balm, to attract pollinators.



The swiss chard and arugula are growing faster than the herbs.





So far the mixed greens are the only seedlings coming up...



...if you don't count the weeds.



Although I'm not offcially composting, I have created a leaf and soil heap. I'm afraid that if I add vegetable scraps it will attract unwanted wildlife, but I can handle collecting all the fallen leaves in a pile where it will hopefully decompose over time.

14 comments:

  1. I've never heard of bee balm. Is it local?

    Also, how was your barbecue? I was so sad I couldn't go :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. go garden girly go!!!! that first salad from your greens~gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making me so jealous with all your plants!! Your Swiss chard is already looking yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I have cilantro coming up!! I am so stoked. I'm already using my chives and parsley; they're humming right along. I have baby basil sprouting up, too. I love seeing plant life popping up through the soil! Its good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ouuuu, looks beautiful! I love your little sprouts!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very married - yes bee balm is local...it must not be native to kansas. the barbecue was fun - and i'm sure you're happy to have your finals over now!

    Jay - unfortunately these pictures were taken before vacation...the swiss chard is totally dead now :-(

    Miz November - good for the soul and the belly ;-)

    Eco Yogini - how are your sprouts doing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can always count on the weeds...they are survivors. Your chard looks so great! And good for you for taking care of the local bee population. It seems you are having fun : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is just about my favorite part of the growing process. The seedlings are seedlings no more and starting to take on their distinctive shapes and smells...

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is the first year i'm planting things, and i'm totally clueless. i'm looking into bee balm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite the green thumb, your plants look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julia, these look FABULOUS- that basil is so healthy, and bee balm is my FAVORITE- my mom has always had wild shocks of bee balm in a certain corner of her garden- it gets HUGE!

    Can't wait to track your progress! I thought of you, btw, when I read that article in the NYTimes home & garden section about upside-down growing...wonder if you've considered that. The whole Topsy-Turvy tomato thing seems gimmicky, but maybe it's worth trying out...?

    ReplyDelete
  12. oo i love gardening! not that you could call my tiny city backyard a garden, but having those leafy greens growing just makes me feel so earthy or something. cant wait to see them fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice planting, i just bought herbs this weekend, can't wait to pot them. have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for container gardening! I'm about to transplant some of my seedlings soon - if we ever get some sun!

    ReplyDelete