Friday, July 9, 2010

Camping, Again

I have figured out that I like camping because it is simple living at its truest. It's a reminder of the bare minimum that we need to dwell on the earth. We needn't shower or wear make up every day. Comfortable and strategic layering can be more important than nice clothing. We don't need constant access to electricity or gadgets. Barring extreme weather, we can live out of tents and cars. We can eat simple meals, and find entertainment in peaceful reading and walking and talking. Sometimes we can just be.





I went spent the long Fourth of July weekend camping at Quechee State Park in Vermont near the New Hampshire border, about five minute drive to White River Junction and about 15 minute drive to Dartmouth College. Home to Vermont's deepest gorge, the park is a bit of a tourist attraction with hiking, a rocky beach, and antiques, restaurants, and farmers market within walking distance. It is a decent campground with brand new restrooms (with what looked like solar panels on the roof) and shady, albeit not necessarily private, sites, though I suppose I got a bad spot for making last-minute reservations. Also be warned that the bar across the street from the campground entrance has live music on Friday nights, so cover songs and jam noodling could be heard faintly into the wee hours.



This was Milo's first camping trip. Spencer stayed in a kennel in Brooklyn because he is a jerk*, but Milo is mostly a sweet smiling delight so he got to come along and have room to run around, play frisbee, sleep in the shade, hike, and splash in the gorge.









A tie-out stake and long leash allowed Milo to explore the perimeter of the campsite and chase squirrels without risk of running away, which I highly recommend.



In this oppressive heat wave, the shaded campground was the most comfortable place to spend hot afternoons, proving that leafy trees are nature's own version of air conditioning.





I amsupposed to go camping again this weekend, and I am working a guide to packing for camping to share with you.

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! Really, what we need is so minimal isn't it? And your dog is absolutely adorable!

    Just found your site, can't wait to explore it!

    Yours in Frugal Green-ness,
    Rebecca The Greeniac
    www.GreeniacDigest.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first paragraph of this post really sold it to me, though I really haven't ever camped much. Feel like I could do with a bit of simple living at the moment - have been buying too much STUFF! Eating simple meals, walking and talking in the company of lovely green trees sounds like bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you hit the nail on the head with this post- camping does allow us to just be. We are taking a camping trip down in NC at the end of July, I am SO looking forward to getting out of the River City for a few days to enjoy nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo fun! and i think i've made it my new goal to go camping with a dog. two loves of mine put together would be so, so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear, I'm not much for camping. But you make things look like so much fun. Don't get me wrong. We build fires and swim in the river and stuff like that all the time. I just have no desire to sleep in a tent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fun!! I love camping. Next time, take me with!!

    Happy Friday Dear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The area you camped in looks really beautiful! Love all the trees. We camp all the time, it's just a way of life for us. Being minimalists is good for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah yes, camping is certainly a reminder of how we can 'just be' and enjoy life without the excesses of the modern world. i really need to organise a camping trip, and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You lucky ducky! You're making me so jealous with all this amazing camping you're doing!

    My favorite photo has to be the one of Milo resting in the water. I looooove watching dogs cool down like that--they always have the funniest looks on their faces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, this looks so nice and peaceful - a far cry from the weekend in the city. I love that camping feeling - eating what you need to, wearing what you need to, saying what you need to - and not much more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks beautiful! it also makes me feel bad since my husband LOVES camping and we never go. i should try to change that. :)
    milo is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. how fun! we really need to go camping again soon! although having a dog with you looks ten million times more fun. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always think I like camping... until I do it again. It's great when the weather is great. Bad weather = bad mood. But I will forget and say yes next time someone asks. It's a never-ending circle.

    The line "Spencer stayed in a kennel in Brooklyn because he is a jerk" has had me giggling for ages :)

    ReplyDelete