Tuesday, October 4, 2011

In search of better stuffed peppers

Every time I make stuffed peppers, the stuffing doesn't cook much.

For this version, I combined cooked orzo, cooked chickpeas, grated cheddar cheese and raw leeks, stuffed this inside peppers and baked it at 430 F for about half an hour. I figured the leeks would roast inside the peppers, but they didn't really.

Tell me what I am doing wrong. Should it stay in the oven longer? Should the stuffing all be pre-cooked? Do you have a great recipe for vegetarian stuffed peppers?

1 comment:

  1. I usually make black bean stuffed peppers and cook them up with onions, garlic, cumin whatever else I feel like adding, in a skillet - then add them to the peppers. I also put peppers in boiling hot water for 1 minute before stuffing them and sticking them in the oven.

    ReplyDelete