Wednesday, March 7, 2012

5 Years

Last Saturday, this blog turned five. Over those five years, this blog saw me through the period of personal transformation that was my mid twenties, during which I figured out a lot about myself and what kind of life I want to lead. When I created it in March 2007, I was twenty-two, less than one year out of college, and feeling not quite passionate about anything. I called my blog The Wounded Chef and intended it as a place to simply store recipes as I learned the joys of cooking. My first few posts lacked both stories and photos and involved fake food ingredients like Smart Balance and Egg Beaters.

But by that summer, my focus changed to whole, unprocessed foods grown locally and made from scratch. I became a devotee to my weekly Saturday ritual of shopping at my local farmers market. I learned to bake bread. I took part in the Dark Days Challenge to eat one mostly local meal each week, even in the winter, until it became a way of life. I planted my first urban garden. I discovered my love for hosting parties. I found myself drawn more and more to the kitchen (perhaps as a way to avoid other problems in my life). Given my increasing concern over environmental
issues, I found a new job at a conservation nonprofit.

Along the way, I got bored of just writing about food, so I changed the name of the blog to Color Me Green and started incorporating other parts of my "slow food eco-friendly life in Brooklyn" -- like bikingDIY projects, explorations of Brooklyn and travels to far away places like Maine and Argentina and not so far away places like upstate NY. I see this space as a place to chronicle my interests and adventures, as well as to share my journey in lowering my environmental impact and living fully with intention.

I haven't ever written here as regularly as I've liked, although I am constantly hopeful that I can be around more often. My life for the past couple years has involved a lot of moving homes and running around. In the coming few months, I'm looking forward to getting a bit more settled into my next apartment and having more time for blogging and personal creative projects.

Thanks to my readers for sticking around over these past five years!  I've appreciated the support of the many friends I've made through blogging, some whom I have even been lucky enough to meet in person. To celebrate, my next post will offer cupcakes.

7 comments:

  1. Offer cupcakes! Shipped over the UK I hope. ;)

    5 years - your blog's a big girl now! It's incredible to look back on the changes they document, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!!
    it's been such a wonderful journey reading along! Also, so glad we had the opportunity to meet in New York :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Five years! Time flies, doesn't it?
    Is that cilantro in that pot, or parsley? I have no luck at growing cilantro, unfortunately. I will be trying again, though.
    And I will be so happy for you when you get to move out of your apartment. I'm sure you will be, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blogoversary! Congrats! Your blog has been an inspiration to me since I started reading it a couple years ago!

    Blessings,
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy blog bday lovely lady! Five years is a top top effort. I always love hearing from you (either here or in other locations). Yay you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on 5 years! I've enjoyed keeping up with you here and look forward to another 5! :) miss you. besos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. one soul - thanks, our blogs have seen us through so much over the years

    Lisa and Yancy - so nice to share our journeys together.

    Amber - thanks for coming out of the woodwork, miss you!

    meag - glad we can keep up with each other on the internet. i can't believe it's been 3 years since i came to argentina! miss you too.

    miz november - it's parsley, i don't make dishes that call for cilantro often enough to grow it

    ReplyDelete