Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wedding Dress Shopping Reviews: Lovely Bride

The third and final wedding dress shop I went to was Lovely Bride in Tribeca. I should have gone there to get the wedding dress shopping experience to begin with and skipped Bridal Garden. They specialize in independent designers, including some favorite designers whose dresses I had been wanting to try... Elizabeth Dye, who has a shop in Portland. Carol Hannah and Leanne Marshall of Project Runway fame. Rebecca Shoneveld, who makes her gowns in her NYC studio in Gowanus. They also have Nicole Miller, which are on the slinky side, and Sarah Seven's adorable strapless dresses.

If you want to go to Lovely Bride, book your appointment ASAP. It took me two months to get there. They are very busy, so evening and weekend times are harder to come by...and my first appointment was canceled by one of the many snowstorms this winter. Plus, the dresses are made to order, so if you decide to buy a dress there, you need to do it at least three to four months before your wedding. I presume that because they take your measurements to make your dress, fewer alterations would be needed, if any, although I didn't really ask about that.


A pretty Leanne Marshall lace dress

The dresses are not cheap. Most of the ones I tried on were 1,200-2,000. But I wasn't there to buy anything anyway, just to have fun. Surprisingly, while I liked some of the dresses, I didn't love any of them, like that Saja one, enough to consider buying one. I learned that I can rock a lace-covered mermaid-shaped number, like this one from Elizabeth Dye, which I wouldn't have expected, but the style felt too traditional for me.


Elizabeth Dye

I know an acquaintance who wore a custom Rebecca Shoneveld dress at her wedding that gorgeously suited to her, which got me interested in her dresses. Rebecca lines her gowns with the softest, most luxurious fabrics that feel amazing to wear, as I learned at Lovely Bride. This one below was similar to the Grecian style of Saja, but didn't drape as flatteringly as Saja's dresses. If I had really wanted to wear a Rebecca Shovenveld dress, I would have gone to her studio in Gowanus to check out a wider selection than what they had at Lovely Bride. Especially since Rebecca will mix and match tops and bottoms and make her designs in different colored silks.

Rebecca Shoneveld


The only thing I found odd about Lovely Bride is that the attendant came in the changing room with me. I ended up wearing my regular bra under all the dresses, even strapless, because I didn't feel comfortable going topless with her right next to me.

Elizabeth Dye, For Emily

I perhaps liked this Elizabeth Dye dress, called For Emily, the best, although the skirt felt heavier than it looks. And none of it matters, because as I shall reveal, I had plenty of family vintage dresses to choose from anyway!

22 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve (or sleeveless).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I'm so late on this. I'm sorry! But you look gorgeous in these. I mean, wow! The Rebecca Shoneveld makes you look like a fairy queen. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julia. You are looking sleeveless, super cute and perfect in this wedding outfit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! Exactly the dress from the picture! My normal size is 4 and got a size 4 from gracedress.co.uk, it fit perfectly!!! Shipping is about 4-5 BUSINESS days. Thank you for http://www.kimidress.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Share.I think it is the more beautiful weeding dress ever.I like white and Blue color.
    wedding dresses

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my dress so much! When I first received it, I didn't think that it would look exactly like the picture, but it did and I was so grateful to the manufacturers for making my dress. It also came faster than expected, so that was definitely a plus! I would, without a doubt, recommend this website to my friends. jessydress.co.uk is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've imagined myself in Elizabeth Dye's tea length For Emily dress since I first saw it a little over a year ago. I didn't know I could actually try it on anywhere nearby - great info!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dress come from kimidress.I absolutely love the dress! It is gorgeous! I can't wait to wear it for my wedding. I couldn't be happier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!!! Thank you for kimidress. A truly amazing dress. I was rather dubious as I have not ordered a custom made dress on line before. But the fit and the quality is outstanding. I can't wait to wear for my wedding in July.
    Thank you for a fantastic dress and such excellent service.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful wedding dresses i like the designs well thanks for free wedding planner android app

    ReplyDelete
  11. This article is lovely.Thanks for a brilliant piece of writing. I feel nursing profession is one of the best profession.



    Svatební Salon & koktejlové šaty Praha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Traditionally, white or ivory has been the primary color for Cheap Dress. This trend supposedly began around 1840 when England's Queen Victoria tied the knot in the color. From the moment Victoria married, white and ivory quickly became the color to be married in.
    Before that, women chose their "best dress" to wear on their wedding day. The Discount Bridesmaid Dress 2014 did not necessarily have to be either white or ivory. History truly does repeat itself, even if it is fashion history..
    Contemporary wedding designers know that varying shades of white is no longer mandatory when it comes to making a beautiful wedding dress. The best designers are constantly reinventing the wedding gown to have the best of both worlds, the essence of that dream dress that so many brides have and a fresh, modern, and contemporary look. Best of all, adding color to designer wedding gowns has given brides so many more options for their special day..
    Adding color to a designer cheap wedding dresses online obviously allows for a more creative look, but also allows the bride to incorporate even more of her own personal style. The wedding gown's color can coordinate with the wedding color scheme and make it even more romantic for the couple. Popular colors today include red, bright burgundy, pink, lavender, and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steal these ideas before they become standard wedding fare. gamos Mimosa bar for a morning or brunch reception.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was nervous about ordering online, but this dress is Just beautiful, it arrived a bit to big around the bust, but other then that really well made.jessydress is good shop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was an astounding knowledge to visit thisblog and read the articles and substance.

    Buy Gay Sex Toys Online , Buy DILDOS & DONGS Online & Buy sexy Teddies Online

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed the substance on this site. Might want to visit once more.

    Buy Lingerie South Africa & Best Place to Buy Lingerie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Easily, the item is indeed the cream text on this registry germane copy. I healthy in along your finishs moreover inclination eagerly semblance forth to your ensuing refurbishs. Suitable maxim acknowledges inclination hardly unbiased be adequate, for the fantasti c lucidity in your composition. I endow instantaneously capture your rss sustain to abide acquainted of some refurbishs.
    Nyfika

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love sharing your excitement and path to your wedding…I’m sure you’ll be beautiful in whatever you wear!58eveningdress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing such unique information which are in actual fact as well as helpful for us.
    Designer Wedding Gowns

    ReplyDelete
  20. This post is really nice and informative. The explanation given is really comprehensive and informative. I am feeling happy to comment on this post.
    Designer Wedding Gowns

    ReplyDelete