Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Wedding Dress Shopping Reviews - Saja

The next shop I went to was Saja, a boutique in the Lower East Side that sells dresses by New York-based designer Yoo Lee. Her dresses are ethereal, floaty, and as I said to the saleswoman, all so pretty. They are the exact antidote to my Bridal Garden experience. Out of all the wedding dresses I've tried on, there was just one dress, at Saja, that elicited that "This is the one" moment you hear about. Both me and my friend Jamie felt it. However, the dress was $1,900.

Again, not my dress, just my favorite Saja dress. It was disappointing to not be 
able to take pictures, since it looked quite different on me than the model.

I considered it, even though I hadn't intended on buying anything. I asked my sisters if they would wear it (meh, they said). I could resell it. However, the next night I got stains on another dress I was wearing and realized that it would be stressful to keep the dress in good enough shape (at a farm wedding!) to resell. In the end, I am too practical to consider spending $2,000 on a dress that will be worn once, when there are so many other things that money can be spent on. More importantly, I already had vintage dresses to choose from that I liked a lot (and would cost me only alterations).


Saja's simplest and most popular designs like the one above are actually a very affordable option, as wedding dresses go. They cost around $950-$1,000, and if you are willing to wear a short dress, those are around $650. They can also be found used on sites like preownedweddingdress.com and oncewed.com for $700-900. The saleswoman claimed that because of the design and the simple hemming, alterations are usually less than $100, which seems cheap when you consider that wedding gown alterations can often run to $300. Moreover, Saja dresses are made of silk chiffon, which can be dyed to another color, and many of the styles would look well hemmed to the knee, so the dresses can actually be reconfigured as party dresses to wear again and again. Saja also sells their dresses in a range of colors for bridesmaids, which I would consider treating myself to except for the below issue.


While I love Saja dresses, I don't love that you must wear a strapless bra. In this case, it's because the fabric is so sheer that the saleswoman claimed it would affect the look of the dress to sew any lining or cups into the dress. They have NuBra backless adhesive bras in the store to try with the dresses, which I discovered are much more comfortable than regular strapless bras. However, wearing that for several hours would be a risk for someone with eczema, like me. I also thought some of the styles were just a little too low cut for my comfort level. (UPDATE from the comments: Rachel was able to get away with sewing cups into her Saja dress and looked beautiful in it...good to know!)

Another lesson learned from this trip - the importance of trying on a dress to find out what size you need. If I had bought a pre-used Saja dress online without trying anything on, I would have gone with something close to my normal street size. However, in the store, I found out that I actually fit into their size zero! I thought this would also make it hard to resell, since most people shopping online would similarly assume they could not wear a size zero.

Saja has many, many photos available on their website and facebook, all too easy to get lost in all the images of real brides looking beautiful in Saja's lovely dresses.

15 comments:

  1. Meh - my seamstress sewed cups into my Saja dress and it was fine! I think they're probably right that it isn't the best option with such delicate fabric, but I don't think anyone could tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That top dress is gorgeous. I'm with you on the strapless dresses, though. I've never been comfortable in anything strapless. And, seriously, why on earth do more designers not make dresses that work with a perfect fitting bra!?! That goes for wedding and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog. Now days man have sort time for buy their wedding dress please do not tension we have Nice website for various types wedding dress for any country. Contact to:
    Preowned wedding dresses

    ReplyDelete
  4. A high quality beach wedding dress is formed with lightweight, flowing materials. Stay away from heavy or cumbersome gowns. Popular materials are linen, silk, lace, gauze, rayon, or light cotton.

    Beach weddings are starting to become exceptionally popular. You now can have a high end and stylish wedding dress for your beach wedding. Search online for the latest styles to match your figure.

    A-line kimidress make for the best plus size gowns. A full skirt dress should be avoided. Always look for a dress that will flatter your figure.

    Sarongs are now becoming the rage for beach weddings. Wear a one piece, for a strapless mini gown style, or use as a skirt with matching halter top. Search online for the best prices for bridal dress shops.

    The top styles for beach wedding dress are strapless or ball gown wedding dresses.Like kimidress.co.uk ! It is typically hotter for beach weddings and this important to take into account when picking your dress. Remember to always pick a dress the matches your figure. Lacy sleeves are a great option for people who have larger arms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer, many beauty-conscious ladies can wear their beach dress to go to a party with friends, in the choice of beach dresses when we must choose their favorite and for their own, jessydress is a specially tailored dresses for girls official website, I do not know if I have seen such acquaintances website!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A trained professional will be able to help you come up with some fabulous ideas on adding color to your Vogue Dress. A great, inexpensive way to add a burst of color to a designer wedding gown is to add piping or a lace overlay in the color of your choice. This doesn't even have to be a permanent addition, which is even better.
    Many brides long for that unique wedding gown but are intimidated by adding such a bold color statement to the dress. It is important to keep a clear head about it and remember that it is your special day. Whatever you prefer in regards to your Cheap Bridesmaid Dress is perfectly acceptable.
    If you must stick with a white wedding dress, you can add a little color by wearing bright blue shoes or your favorite color elbow-length gloves. You can also always remove the gloves at the last minute. Wedding shoes are a logical area to add color, especially if you are not sure you want to "mess with the dress." Another way to add color to your dress is to wear brightly colored jewelry or hair accessories.
    When making these decisions it is always important to remember that it is your wedding day and your cheap dresses sale. Do not be afraid to show your true style and if that means adding a bit of color to your designer wedding gown, no one should object. Adding color to your wedding gown is a great way to stand out and give you an extra edge which can make your event even more memorable..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sister's wedding is very grand, beautiful sister that day, thank you jessydress, patient customer service, exquisite packaging, fabric good · · ·

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.traditionalweddingdresses.co.za/

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.jessydress.co.uk/wedding-dresses/lace-mermaid-wedding-dresses.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.traditionalweddingdresses.co.za/wedding-dresses-south-africa/lace-wedding-dresses

    ReplyDelete
  11. These dresses are really nice.I specially like green one.For weeding dress visit one of the usa based company carlyna.co.uk.Which have provided very good dress with low cost prices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wide range of wedding dresses, wedding website we welcome you to watch and buy, a good life start from here:robes de mariée pas cher vestiti da cerimonia 2014 billig brllopsklnning bruidsjurk 2014 sukienki weselne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love nature.. The best destination wedding is match with sweet and elegance tailor made gown
    with sweet memorable Wedding Photography Malaysia
     To select grant venue for Destination Wedding
    Lets share more about your wedding selection for wedding vendor.

    ReplyDelete