Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving and Dried Flowers

Thanksgiving has come and gone. I contributed roasted brussel sprouts and my mini apple pies and pumpkin cupcakes (and whoops, realized I left out the leavening in the cupcake recipe, which is fixed now!). Poor things got a little messy looking on the train ride, oh well. I must say, it takes wayyy longer making mini pies on your own than with a friend...dunno if I'll be doing that again.


So we feasted on delicious food and left with full bellies. No turkey for me this year, though. I am proud to have stuck to my guns about being careful what meat I eat. Given that most turkeys consumed around the country on Thanksgiving have such huge breasts that they can't walk or fly or procreate and live horrible little lives, I was okay with abstaining. I understand it's not easy or cheap, and therefore not possible for everyone, to procure heritage turkeys, but I'd love to have the opportunity to host Thanksgiving one day with a formerly happy turkey on the table.


I am now engaging in a long weekend of semi house arrest. It's very relaxing, and I'm looking forward to many more days of luxurious sleeping in coming up this month*, since I have to use up several vacation days before the end of the year.


So, these dried flowers. They would make a beautiful Thanksgiving table centerpiece. But Thanksgiving aside, this bouquet from the farmers market was $8 well spent, since they will be beautiful in my home all winter long. I got into the habit of buying fresh flowers weekly at the market, but as with following seasonally available produce, I'm letting fresh flowers give way to dried now that winter's on its way. Much easier upkeep too - like Ginny, I appreciate that there's no need to change water and trim stems. They'll perpetually stand proudly, bringing some cheer into my home. Case in point, I also still have the pussywillows from last spring. Dried flowers would be a great eco-friendly and cost-effective option for restaurant centerpieces, not to mention weddings.




I arranged them in glass vases and old bottles around the apartment, and the sculptural look of this last one is my favorite.




*I'm also looking forward to birthdays and the holidays! The end of November through the end of December is an exciting time for me...

11 comments:

  1. I love those dried flowers, such a great idea for brightening up winter, and your photos are great too. Hope Milo recovers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm, i love dried flowers. i have a bunch strewn all over my bedroom right now.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you enjoyed Thanksgiving. Those little apple pies and pumpkin cupcakes look scrumptious and I'm impressed you resisted the turkey. I wish I could say the same, but I'm a weakling. Maybe next year... Oh and Milo is so handsome! We need to get our fat little Alfie neutered---thanks for reminding me : )
    XX Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julia! I just saw your comment on Jamie's blog, desert fete, and thought you might find this tutorial about how to widen your blog helpful. I don't know HTML from a hickory switch but managed to figure it out and it makes *such* a difference, aesthetically:
    http://beginner-blogger-basics.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to-change-width-of-blogger-blogs.html

    If you upload the newest version of blogger's editor you will have the option of making your pictures bigger. Hope that helps!

    Stop by bigBANG studio if you have time! http://bigbangstudio.blogspot.com/
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dried flowers...these looks so pretty. i'm also obsessed with pumpkin cupcakes lately and am going to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) just made my own dried flower arrangement yesterday! your tall arrangements in tall bottles look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie - oh milo is feeling fine and was back to his playfights in no time, even though he is supposed to be resting.

    rebecca - lots of flowers in your bedroom sounds lovely

    Kate - thanks, i do believe milo is one of the cutest dogs i've known ;-) good luck with your neutering.

    bigBANG - thanks for the tips, i will definitely check that out!

    Giovanna - i hope the recipe works out for you!

    Biz - thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dear

    I have read your post and it's very interesting post. I have achieved valuable thoughts from your post. Thanks for sharing such great post...

    Buy Dried Flower Archives Buy Dried Flower. We also offer one of the widest selections of cannabis in USA and all at very affordable pricing. Also get high potency extracts.

    If you would like more information, Click Now

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dear,

    I really prefer your blog..! This blog are very useful for me and other. So I see it every day.

    " Buy Medical cannabis USA" , Buy weed online UK, Order Marijuana Online AU, Purchase THC Vape Cartridges Worldwide, Vape Pens Wholesale, get Hash and Shatter EU

    Visit Now - https://thcreefer.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. MEDICAL CANNABIS
    Thanks to the legalization of medical cannabis in almost every state in the US, there is no surprise to the rise of the medical cannabis trade in the US. Championed by its ability to serve as a panacea for a wide array of ailments, medical cannabis is working wonders on patients. Backed by years of extensive research, medical cannabis is available for all in legal dispensaries and online stores. This is certainly a welcomed substitute to the very many over the counter prescription drugs. Most of which have devastating side effects if the dosage isn’t right.
    Medical Cannabis
    The legalization of medical cannabis in the US (23 states to be precise) is a giant leap in the right direction. This is simply because of the existing proof championed by years of extensive research, which concluded that cannabis is good for our health. Sandwiched with its ability to treat a wide array of ailments. Some of which include
     Chronic pain relief
     Anxiety and stress management
     Reduction Inflammation
     Appetite stimulation
     Nausea relief
     Opioids withdrawal treatment
     Muscle spasm reduction
     Glaucoma treatment
    Uk weed dispensary The Future
    Are you in search of an online medical cannabis dealer you can trust, one who is reliable and always at your service 24/7, worry not for at the Secure Kush Dispensary, all of your worries will be a thing of the past. At the Secure Kush Dispensary, we offer a wide array of medical cannabis strains and CBD oils at very affordable prices. Some of our product categories include
     Cannabis oil https://weedstrainsuk.com/buy-grams-of-weed-online/
     Marijuana concentrates https://weedstrainsuk.com/product-category/marijuana-concentrates-online-uk/
     Marijuana edibles
     Prefilled vape pen oil cartridges https://weedstrainsuk.com/product-category/vape-cartridges-online-uk/
     Weed strains (sativa, indica, and hybrid) https://weedstrainsuk.com/product-category/hybrid-weed-strain/
    Buy Weed Online in the US with Secure Kush Dispensary
    Taking to mind the aforementioned ailments, should you be in need of the much-needed relief for both children and adults, our CBD supplements are very much available for you. At uk weed dispensary, you are at liberty to order any of our products online and you get it delivered at your doorstep and of course at amazingly affordable prices. Feel free to reach out to us at any hour of the day and let our agents attend to your every need and at your convenience with suitable answers to match.
    Final Note
    Should you be in need of the best medical cannabis you can possibly get in the Uk all you need is reach out to us today at https://weedstrainsuk.com. Place an order(s) depending on the strain or any cannabis-related product of choice and it be delivered in conformity with your order and on time. Remember your satisfaction and quality service delivery are our top priorities

    ReplyDelete
  11. Floral White gives you a chance to be an expert florist. Join our flower arranging class in Brisbane and be a pro at creative decoration of flowers.

    Our Services
    ------------
    Flower Delivery Brisbane
    Flower Arranging Class Brisbane
    Floral White

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.